Thursday, May 03, 2007

Elite QB visits UA

Elite QB visits UA - BamaOnLine

Nick Saban and staff have made the quarterback position a priority in the 2008 class with the Tide having offered several of the nation's top signal-callers. On Wednesday, likely five-star prospect Blaine Gabbert made a surprise trip to the Capstone with his parents, and the Tide made a big impression on the 6-foot-5, 229-pounder.

"Me and my dad flew in this morning, and we are flying out tomorrow. We decided to come and see Alabama since we haven't yet and I'm glad we did. I was very impressed with everything I saw," Gabbert said. "When I got there this morning, I met pretty much all the coaches. They were all great and very down to earth. After that, I left with Coach Applewhite and we toured the facilties.

"I was extremely impressed with everything. We toured the campus, academic center and the dorms. I know it was going to be nice, and it was better than I expected. Everything was top notch. The athletes have everything they need on and off the field."

Gabbert spent a lot of time with Coach Applewhite, and the two have developed a strong relationship.

"Coach Applewhite is a good guy. He's very approachable and down to earth. We have a strong bond and today strengthened it more. He talked to me about more than just football. We discussed everyday life stuff and about how life would be as a student as well as a player. I learned a lot."

Tide head coach Nick Saban was on the road recruiting, but he made a special trip back to the Capstone to visit with the Missouri native.

No comments: