Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ole Miss game photos

Tons of Tide fans taking the Ole Miss exit

We just parked and we're ready to Roll with the Tide

Cleansing Tide

David, Matt, and Joe outside Vaught-Hemingway
Crimson Tide enters the stadium
Ole Miss enters the stadium
West stands of Vaught-Hemingway Stadium in Oxford, MS

North stands of Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
Ole Miss kicks off to Bama to start the game
Ole Miss atempts a field goal
Game-saving sack during Ole Miss' final drive at the end of the game

3 comments:

Sharp said...

Something anthropologically fascinating I've noticed at all the Bama games but especially at this Ole Miss game: Do only white people go to these ball games? Mississippi probably has the highest ratio of African-Americans in the country but only one black cheerleader at their flagship school - and NO black fans in the stands? (If there is one, I can't see them). What is up with that? Has anyone ever researched this.

Mike Wilhelm said...

Great question...I don't know of any research, but I have some ideas.

There are two questions: one about attendance at athletic events and one about enrollment.

As far as enrollment, I do not think there are many African-Americans in the area around Oxford. I could be wrong. Then you have the traditionally black colleges. They would literally die, or at least suffer greatly if they lost their student bodies to state universities like Ole Miss. There are probably also socio-economic reasons, racial reasons, and a whole host of other factors.

As far as attendance at games, I have noticed the same thing, at least to some extent, wherever I go. This year I have seen roughly the same thing in Tuscaloosa, Atlanta, Dallas, and Chicago. I could also add Cincinatti, Detroit, and Kansas City from last year. I don't really know the answer, but those are a few thoughts.

Sharp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.